The Challenge is to Ruck the 210-mile trail that encompasses Maricopa County over the course of 1 year! For full Challenge details go here or check out the Maricopa Ruck Challenge facebook page. There are at least 2 events per month over the course of the year
Completing the Challenge will earn you bragging rights and a patch.
- GORUCK Rucker (FITREP) – This is my standard pack for rucking, whether for events or training.
- 3L Camelbak hydration bladder – It was issued to me and still works well!
- 20lb Ruck Plate – Fits well in the Rucker
- Tactical Gloves – You never know… and they’re nice for PT.
- Reflective Bands – day or night visibility is a good thing. These never leave my pack.
- Petzl Headlamp – Yes it was daylight, but better safe than sorry!
- Anker PowerCore Lite 10000mAh – you don’t want your phone dying on you while trying to track your ruck!
- Waterproof phone case w/ $20 cash
- Notebook and pen
- Cottenelle Flushable Wet Wipes – You never know when one might come in handy.
- Nature Valley Oats & Dark Chocolate Protein Granola.
- Custom First Aid kit.
- The route is hardball surface along a canal. It’s not very scenic and is very flat. You do get to pass through a business district with restaurants.
- It is from point A to point B, so transportation must be considered
- Make sure your tracking app is working properly. Mine (strava) stopped at mile 11! Fortunately my ruck partner had Strava going and included me (AGAIN!! See below). We went .5 miles south and got some chocolate milk and then back to my car to make 12 miles. Luckily, I was using more than just Strava!
- Get enough sleep the night before. <4 hours is not enough! Drink water, not beer and go to bed before 0100!